mgs

Re: Rover 200 - should it be an MG?/longish

To: The Richards <smrm@coastalnet.com>
Subject: Re: Rover 200 - should it be an MG?/longish
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 13:27:04 -0500
Hi Mike:

Thank you for articulating what I attempted unsuccessfully to do by
inference.  As you say, there is nothing wrong with the MGF or the Lumina
or any of today's wundercars.  I enjoy their technology and have nothing to
criticize about their execution.

By going back to their roots designers have maintained a tradition in many
successful automobiles over the years.  Styling cues have been the major
links between models for years.  On MGs the original grille idea was
maintained through every model and was always recognizably MG.  Buick had
its portholes and Cadillac its fins.  Wolseley had the lighted oval badge
and Austin the winged/flying A.

Inside the car an MG always had a certain similarity with the use of round
instruments and a generous sprinkling of octagons.  This didn't change
significantly over the years - except that the execution was cheapened in
appearance.

Dramatic changes have not always been successful in retaining a traditional
custom.  Look at the debacle of Cadillac in the '80s when the company tried
desperately to create a new market by abandoning old principles.

as to retro-styling being anathema to our young gen-Xers how do you explain
the surge in popularity for cocktail culture?  Without retro-styling a
Rolls would be just a ridiculously overpriced luxury car which does nothing
particularly well.  Without the tradition of speed and performance from
Bentleys why would anyone by the Turbo R?

Tradition is written all over the progressive and subtle changes at
Merdedes.  While the new cars and the cars of the '50s and '60s have little
in common technologically, they are still very obviously Mercedes products.
BMW has retained the 328 grille for over 60 years.

These kinds of "going back to the roots" are what I am referring to.  I am
not advocating - as the short-fused members of the list seem to infer -
that we should go back to making an MGB.  I am advocating that Rover needs
to take a long hard look at what an MG represents and find a way to
incorporate that soul into the new car.  It will be difficult with the
present egg obsession.  A great car has visible character.  Let's see some.
Porsche did it, although it must be admitted that they started with an egg
back in '48.

John McEwen