mgs

Re: MG trip to England (more off-topic by the hour)

To: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison), mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MG trip to England (more off-topic by the hour)
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 04:52:18 -0500
At 03:04 PM 12/12/97 EST, Rick Morrison wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Dec 97 21:25:22 -0000 Phil <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk> writes:
>Yeah Phil, we were for  a year or so.
>  Just long enough for the "historians" over here to determine that we
>won the war single-handed.
>  Not unlike the "duece" (WW II), where we finally got involved 2 years
>after it started,  long after the RAF had for all practical purposes,
>destroyed the Luftwaffe's offensive capability, but if you read "history"
>books, you'd think the B-17 and the P-51 were the only planes flying (Oh,
>the P-51 -Mustang- was in fact designed for the English by North
>American. Hence the Rolls-Royce specced engine)
>
>  Ok, now that I've offended somebody, flame away!
>Rick Morrison
>72 MGBGT
>74 Midget
>
>>Sounds terrible. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the
>>US
>>wasn't involved in WW1?
>>
>>Philip Raby
>>Editor, MG World
>>PO Box 163, Bicester OX6 3YS, UK
>>Tel: 01869 340061 Fax: 01869 340063 Mobile 0467 767361
>>www.chp.ltd.uk

Sadly, the people who really win wars don't wear uniforms. Industrial might
and organization is usually the deciding factor. Thus the U.S, was in the
war from "lend lease" on.. The Germans realized this as they actively
engaged in warfare on the high seas in 1941 with the U.S.

By 1943 the Russians with most of their European territory occupied, caught
up with the Germans in war material output. And Germany was producing more
in 1943 than any year earlier dispute the round the clock bombing ny
Britain and the U.S.

What truly is amazing and what was the deciding factor was that the U.S.
war production by the end of 1943 was equal to the rest of the allies and
axis combined. ".Rosie the Riveter" was the real hero.

The Luftwaffe was hardly destroyed by the end of the Battle of Britain, it
just had not been able to destroy the RAF.

The greatness of the B17 and P51 was not just their performance, but their
numbers. By 1944 Germany had a great jet fighter, but P 51s were being
produced by the thousands, and pilots were being trained by the thousands.
Again the American war time organization in producing very good if not the
best in every area of war machinery in numbers that dwarfed everyone else
made the difference.

Mike

.