mgs

Re: Linn and Bagpipes/was something else

To: MGSMGBGT <MGSMGBGT@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Linn and Bagpipes/was something else
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 07:12:07 -0800
MGSMGBGT wrote:

> In a message dated 12/6/97 4:25:31 PM, gofastmg@juno.com wrote:
>
> <<The sound of the Pipes can never be reproduced faithfully.  It is unique,
> and any attempt to record all the nuances is doomed to failure of one
> degree or another.
>  Sort of like "retro" LBC's. Somehow it ain't real.

Let me interject with a hearty agreement.  I work as the "equipemt chairperson"
here
at St. Andrews, and I had to mic and monitor a piper at our outdoor Christmas
tree
lighting recently.  I dunno why, you can hear the pipes anywhere on campus w/o
a mic,
but anyway, half the time I spent listening to people say "Hey sound guy (aka
"Equipment chairperson"), the pipes sound tinny" or "The pipes don't sound
right."
Talk about a nightmare!  Of course, my answer always was the same.  "Do
bagpipes ever
sound right?"

Michael S. Lishego (From the clan Godknows)
St. Andrews Presbyterian College
Elementary Education Major,
English Minor, Class of 1999
R.A. of Winston-Salem Hall