mgs

TR7 Musings

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR7 Musings
From: Chris Delling <saschris@flash.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 1997 11:16:39 -0500
After reading an article in British Car magazine some time ago, I decided
that I would really like to have a TR8 convertible.  For the record,
although British Car was quick to point out the poor build quality of the
earlier 7's, their opinion was that the later cars were quite good, and the
performance of the TR8  was enough to make one forget all about MGB's.

Now styling of course is subjective.  Having spent my formative automotive
years in the 70's, I never had the hatred for the more modern designs that
some (most?) on this list have developed (hell, I own a rubber bumper B by
choice).  I have never been a fan of the plaid interiors of the 7/8, but I
find the design of the roadster to be quite nice.
Further, their "modern" suspension system makes the car much more compliant
that anything on a B, but they can still get around a corner with the best
of them.  It's also a hell of a lot more roomy, which for my physique, is
welcome.

What was interesting to me is this:  While I was considering acquiring a
TR8, i joined the Wedge list.  Since my budget, not to mention S.O. would
tolerate only one LBC, I knew that my B would have to go in order to get
another LBC.  As such I made a posting to the Wedge list, suggesting a
trade for my fully restored "B" for a TR8.  The majority of responses I got
were every bit as full of hatred for the B, as most of this list's postings
are towards the Wedge.  They consider our cars as ugly dinosaurs of an past
era.  Needless to say, there weren't any takers on my offer.

Not to worry, as I have since decided against a TR.  Decided that in
general I prefer the character, and classic feel of the ol' B, not to
mention the people.  So when is someone going to come up with a window
decal featuring that little cartoon kid pissing on the Triumph logo?

Best Regards,

Chris Delling