mgs

Re: Body and Paint

To: murch@y-city.net
Subject: Re: Body and Paint
From: bugide@juno.com (Larry Dickstein)
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 09:28:41 EST
 On Thu, 04 Dec 1997 22:21:02 -0400 "Murch, Paul" <murch@y-city.net>
writes:                                          an Eastwood leading kit
on the way (hopefully I will use no bondo).  I now have a bare unibody.

Bondo as the generic term for filler, or real brand name Bondo?  Those
folks have better lawyers than I can afford so I will be careful.  I
personally do not use Bondo.  There are a myriad of other products that
are far better.  Unless you have much patience, experience, time, etc.,
you can obtain a far better finish w/ small amounts of plastic filler.  A
filler-free car (even new) is wavy.  Look at the side of a new car or
pickup truck.   (Some of those have a little filler in them, too.  Don't
tell anyone-it's secret!!)  Never mind the orange peel in the finish.

>Questions:
>I want to paint/protect the areas not usually exposed (ex. underbody,
wheel wells, fire wall, wheel arches.  What is the best way to do this?

I have had the best luck (skill? naw!) with PPG products, especially the
DP epoxy primers.  As long as it is not exposed to the sunlight, the DP
stuff is bulletproof.  When you do the wheel wells, add a little of the
flex agent stuff.  It will let you keep the paint in there longer.

>I have the car to bare metal.  What is the best way of priming it?
                                                        Soon as you can.
This is the place to be surgically clean and not to cut corners.  Paint
will not cover any flaws so it must be pretty darn nice to begin with.  I
use PPG DP primer first (after the car is CLEAN).  Then I use whatever
filler is necessary and then I recoat w/ the DP.  I t sort of encases the
plastic.  Then I use PPG K36 high build sandable primer.  3 coats and
sand it off, 3 coats and sand it off.  Do this as long as you can stand
it.  Another case of "the longer, the better."  Start w/ 240 grit and
work your way up to 600.  Then if you are truly a masochist (or have a
black car) do 800 wet.
bought a new hood and It has a black high build primer.  Can this be
duplicated at home?

I strip that stuff off and start from metal.  Who knows how it was put on
and what it is?  In my opinion, I don't like the unknowns involved.
Besides, I have never seen a panel that didn't require some body working
to get it right.

>Any used body solder? Tricks?  Suggestions?

Not for the novice!!   If you gotta use it, fill a small indentation and
use a quality plastic for the rest.  Then when someone comments on the
quality of your finish, you can always say that there is a little lead
work in it and walk off.

Larry Dickstein
bugide@juno.com

There is no problem that cannot be solved
with either a checkbook or high explosives.