mgs

Re: Midget test drive (I hope!)

To: mganut@accucomm.net
Subject: Re: Midget test drive (I hope!)
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 22:16:59 -0500
Mike Hartley wrote:

> Okay guys, once again I shall open my mouth and show my complete
> ignorance, but as someone who is looking to buy an MG, what is the
> "death rattle" and what does it mean?

  Midget 1500 engines suffer when the bearings
get loose from wear. This causes play in the bearings.

  The resulting play strains the rods, which causes
them to eventually snap and come out the side of
the engine. (ie: terminal)

  When the car is first started the car doesn't have
oil pressure yet. The "rattle" can be heard from the
engine bottom as the dry bearings slam into the
crank and big end.

  Once oil pressure comes up this is slightly padded
and the noise goes away. (takes a few seconds)

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada