mgs

Re: Why would petrol companies oppose SB42?

To: simon_matthews@avanticorp.com
Subject: Re: Why would petrol companies oppose SB42?
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 23:56:10 EST
On Thu, 06 Nov 1997 12:52:18 -0800 Simon Matthews
<simon_matthews@avanticorp.com> writes:
>I read the web page on SB42 and saw in one of  the reports a list of
those for and those opposed. What interested me was seeing the 'Western
States Petroleum Association' listed amongst those opposed.

>Why? What did they lose through SB42's passage? Is there something they
are not telling us about today's gas on old cars?

If your old car does not pass the emissions test, it's cheaper for them
to buy it and crush it for the polution credits.  If your old car is
exempt, it's equivalent to an automatic pass.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude (and old enough to be exempt)