mgs

Re: A lot of stuff

To: "William T. Killeffer" <wkilleff@moccasun.utc.edu>
Subject: Re: A lot of stuff
From: "John J. Peloquin" <peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 13:03:48 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Netters,

Far be it from me to claim expertise on british music, but I did listen
to a fair bit

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, William T. Killeffer wrote:
"snip"

=%Omore about '60s British rock other than obvious choices(Beatles,
=%OHerman's Hermits, Kinks, Dave Clark 5)? Someone mentioned Ian Drury and
=%OThe Blockheads. I know there were probably just as many unsung bands
=%Oover there as there are over here. I want to listen to some when I
=%Ofinally drive my MG (obligatory MG content).

Wellll, Theres the Groundhogs (especially "thank Christ for the bomb")
for the late 60's and early 70's there's Roxy Music, The Damned (who had
my favorite driving song "Smash it UP" I could listen to a loop of that
song for hours!)
THE WHO- If you can believe it, I think they were underrated! "My
Generation is as immortal a comment on youth and their elders as ever
there was

The Rolling Stones (and Still Going)
Cream - one of the first supergroups (Lots of sound and Fury)
Emerson Lake and Palmer (However, they are now quite dated IMHO)
Traffic (Chinese Noodle Factory comes to mind)
Procol Harem (Yes, they wrote and played other songs besides whiter shade
                of pale, and name me another rock band that read Chaucer)
King Crimson (memory obscured by smoky haze probably not good to drive to
                while unimpaired)
Eric Burdon and the Animals
Van Morrison and Them (technically Irish, but I really really like Van)
Savoy Brown (Bluesy, best album was IMHO "Looking In")
Small Faces (Rod Stewart was lead singer)
The Masked Marauders (Reputed to be members of the Stones, Who, Fleetwood
                        Mac and Beatles who put this together as a lark-
                        "Careful with that Ax
                        Eugene" and "Teenage lust" were favs o' mine)
Humble Pie ("30 days in the hole" lots of nice screechy vocals and moans)
T Rex (Still one of my Favorites -Marc Bolan was killed in a car wreck and
        was one of the most perversely clever and inventive guitarists
        ever)
And of Course the  original and still champeen Heavy Metal band:
Led Zepplin

There are many others that my memory will come up with after this too.

"Never ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance"

John J. Peloquin
Molecular Biology &
  Biochemistry
3205 BioSciences II