mgs

Re: Carb Question

To: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Subject: Re: Carb Question
From: Blake Wylie <bwylie@hiwaay.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 22:15:41 -0500 (CDT)
At 08:46 PM 10/21/97 -0500, Mike Hartwig wrote:

>Blake, by all means stick with the SUs.  Even my worn SUs have held up
>quite well.
>The secret to SUs is to set them and don't fiddle with them.  It's when you
>start
>to fart with them, that you get into trouble.  I'm going on 1.5 years on
>only one
>initial setup and my front two plugs are nice and brown indicating a good
>clean burn, while my rear two plugs(three and four cylinders) are kinda
>black from a rich mixture.
>
>Things to check on your SUs are the throttle shafts as well as any other
>areas where
>vacuum leaks can occur.
>Please describe your problem more specifically and I may be able to help
>out more.
>
>First, though, spray your favorite lubricant on the throttle shafts and on
>the intake manifold to try to find vacuum leaks.  Until you find them all
>and remedy them, you'll never be able to tune well.  Make sure you use a
>non-combustible lubricant, otherwise, you might have singed eyebrows or
>worse because of ignited vapors from hot exhaust manifold.
>
>take care
>jay

The piston on the rear carb doesn't want to go down all of the way.  :\
What can I do about that?  I could replace the body and cup from the old set
that I have...would that help?

Also, what are the best settings for these things?  About where should I set
the needle and the throttle screws?

BTW...these were never tuned right in the first place.  I don't have any
vacuum leaks (I've sprayed already) though.

Blake