mgs

Re: good book on engine tuning and performance

To: robert weeks <robert@woozy.com>
Subject: Re: good book on engine tuning and performance
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 17:12:45 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, robert weeks wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone recommend a good book on tuning my 1275 engine?
>
> It has a Weber DCOE carb on it, most of the books I have seen cover
> the stock carb setup but not the Weber setup. I browsed through a
> book on Weber carbs at my local Barnes & Noble but didn't see much
> as far as tuning the carb goes.

THE book you have to have is David Vizard's "Tuning the BLMC A series
engine".  It covers exactly what you want and more, trust me.
If you can't find it, get it at Mini Mania 1-800-94MANIA.

> On a similar note, has anyone tried the Colortune kit sold by Moss, etc?
> I'd be interested in hearing your experiences good or bad, with it.

I bought it, used it once, and am back to tuning my carbs with the "lift
the piston" method.  Used it on a single-carb engine and it worked fine,
but for a double-carb engine, I feel I need two of them (or 4 ? :)
Nice gimmick, but not essential.

> My car has a new head, rebuilt distributor and the Weber on it, the
> pistons, rings and bearings are good also, but still this car has trouble
> getting out of it's own way. Any suggestions? (other than buying a
> Swiftune engine and a 5 speed tranny  :)

I suggest a Swifttune engine and a 5 speed :-)

Read Vizard's "bible" and start saving money...

                                                           '67 Sprite