mgs

Re: Yet more on the MGB Twin Cam

To: "David Knowles" <dknowles@uk.b-r.com>, "MGDIGEST" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Yet more on the MGB Twin Cam
From: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@pil.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 12:17:02 -0400
> The `rumour' about six MGB Twin Cams got me going - and having come
> across other cars which have had a factory involvement claimed for them
> which, after a little detective work, turned out to be fake (e.g. a
> road-registered Daimler V8 engined MGB) I decided to ask a man who
> should know - Don Hayter.

And why should I believe Don Hayter?

> Don confirms that no twin cam MGB was ever built by MG at Abingdon; he
> said that although the packaging was investigated in the early days, the
> problems with the engine ruled it out; there were piston problems and
> the fact that the engine required high octane fuel, which was being
> phased out and was in any case hard to get in some markets, militated
> against it. If someone has a twin cam MGB, he says, it isn't one of
> ours.

You and I both know that the MG Factory was specail and REAL records
weren't taken proper care of.  This may have been a R&D project, with a
MGB.  Remember this isn't a 1800block and twincam head this is a MGA block
and TwinCam head.

I think I'll do my own detective work...

> The MGB was originally going to have the 1,622 c.c. engine (as per the
> MGA Mk.II) but as you may know this was soon changed when it was found
> that the 1600 MGB was slower than the 1600 MGA, and that the ADO17
> saloon planned for 1964 would also need an 1800. I doubt that there will
> be much enthusiasm in our ranks for building a 1,622 c.c ohv MGB.....

Yeah but I would built a 1,622cc DOHC MGB...with out a doubt!

KMR

Kai M. Radicke -- mowogmg@pil.net @ 1966 MGB -- http://www.pil.net/~mowogmg

Dialogue Internet -- Intelligent Internet Solutions

"Introducing the NEW Lucas Vacuum Sweeper...
...If it is made by Lucas you know is Sucks!"