mgs

Brake Master Cylinder Choice -Reply

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, aramm@concentric.net
Subject: Brake Master Cylinder Choice -Reply
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 09:23:42 -0400
>>> Andy Ramm <aramm@concentric.net> 07/29/97 05:54pm >>>
As long as I'm busy scavenging the '71, I was thinking of converting my
'67
Gt to a dual line braking system with the tandem master cylinder.  Will
this yield enough benefit over tyhe single line unit to be worth the
effort?...

Andy, I think Rick answered you well regarding the performance of the
dual system, but I wanted to address the safety issue.  Quite simply, in
a single line system, if you have a leak at any point, you can run the
system out of fluid and have NO brakes all at once.  In a dual line
system, the two halves don't share fluid at all.  What this means is
that no matter where you get a leak, you'll still have brakes on two of
the four wheels.

If I were in your shoes, I think the *first* thing I'd swap into the '67
would be the braking system.  Pine trees just don't make good hood
ornaments on most MG's.

Matt Kulka
'74 B - with two-week-old rear brake cylinders (I know from where I
speak)