mgs

Fuel pump fiasco

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fuel pump fiasco
From: MLishego@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 18:32:39 -0400 (EDT)
Went to replace or fix my fuel pump today.  It seemed like it was never
shutting off.  It was always running, and on my last outing, the car wanted
to die out.  I disconnected the line at the fuel filter and turned the key.
 The pump ran for a while with no effect, until I held my finger over the
line.  When pressure built up, the fuel spilled forth in vast quantities.  I
held my finger over the line again, and the pump continued to run, only not
as loud.  I shut off the key and tried again, but the fuel only trickeled
out, whether I primed (?) the pump with my finger or not.  I thought the pump
was the SU for the '74 model year.
Silly me.
It turned out to be an aftermarket solid state pump.  It was marked with one
decal proclaiming,  "KEM  reliable solid state electronics."

My questions are varied.  What is the problem with my fuel pump?  Does it
need rebuilt, or should I look elsewhere in the car (gas tank empty?)
Does anyone know where I can find a new KEM pump, or should I go with the AC
pumps that were listed in recent posts?
I was going to use an old SU from my '77, but all of the wires and hoses have
been disconnected.  Only one wire leads into the KEM pump, I imagine that
it's the hot wire.  Anyway, any help provided would be greatly appreciated.
 Anyone else with the aforemetioned AC pump have any advice or comments?

                                                                        ~Mike
Lishego