mgs

Re: Black Tulip: More paint questions!

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@utk.edu>
Subject: Re: Black Tulip: More paint questions!
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 20:01:36 +0000
> > There were also Aconite and Mirage.  Aconite has a blueish tint
> > whereas
> > Black Tulip is reddish, they are very similar and often confused.
> > They
> > are both listed under 'red' in Clausager and are both described as
> > 'purple'.
> >
> > Black Tulip was used in 1973, Aconite and Mirage in 74 and 74 1/2.
>
> I got worried because the DuPont paint codes for aconite and black tulip
> were the same.  But the swatch I have now (a 3x5 card sprayed by the
> paint shop) is definitely purple, and not aconite.  Daaaaark purple.  I
> am having a hard time picking out any form of reddish tint, or bluish
> for that matter.  He mounted the swatch on a stir stick and now it looks
> like a grape popsicle.  Does this sound to you like I got the right
> color?  The aconite described in his mixing codes was definitely much
> lighter.  I just keep telling myself how good that B looked painted this
> way, and that my Midget would look the same, but visions of that Barney
> the Dinosaur colored BGT keeps coming to mind!  Thanks for your help!
>
> adrian
> Hi Adrian, sorry I didn't reply sooner but I have been on holiday (B-ing in
France) and been overwhelmed with other things since my return.

I can only confirm that Black Tulip and Aconite are *very* similar and often
confused except when seen side-by-side in the same light.

Clausager lists the following paint codes:-

                Black Tulip     Aconite
BMC/BL          BLVC23          BLVC95
Ault & Wiborg/
Berger/