mgs

Midget Adventures

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Midget Adventures
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 22:53:57 -0400
Hello, everyone!

I'm back on the list after taking a couple of weeks off for some Midget
adventures.
Freida and I attended British Car Day South at Tanglewood Park this year in
the Midget instead of the Healey.  Had a great time (second place in the
Midget class, and discovered an artist had painted a watercolor of TARHEELY
in 1994.  Yes, of course I had to buy it!), then on to the mountains of
N.C. for a couple of days.  If there is a better road for LBCs than the
Blue Ridge Parkway, I haven't seen it!  Things went great for 400 miles,
then disaster....when I tried to start the car - nothing.  All electrics
were fine except the starting part.  Long story short, I ended up renting a
car to get my wife back home (another long story), driving 600 miles round
trip back home to get my spare starter relay and starter.  That did the
trick, although I'm not really sure whether  I had a starter or relay
problem since I haven't had time to investigate further.  Side note:  I
called Moss at 3:00 PM for next day delivery of a new relay, and they had
it delivered to my aunt in the wilds of northwestern N.C. by 9:00 am next
morning.

One day at home, then on the road again to British Car Day in Bowie, MD.
Probably the hottest BCD Bowie has had in the 10 years or so I've been
attending.  Again, "OO NINE" ran great until about three miles into the
trip home.  I noticed that my oil pressure gauge said I had ZERO pressure.
 A quick check under the bonnet determined that the flex hose to the oil
pressure gauge line had slipped off the end of the line and sprayed hot oil
liberally about.  Not a big deal except that my heater box seals didn't,
and some of the oil found its way down to the new carpet through the heater
vents (Sigh!).    Two thousand miles since the 14th of June isn't bad for a
'73 Midget.

Gordon Crumpler in Ottawa:  are you on the list yet?

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "00 NINE"
'66 BJ8  HBJ8L/36666  "TARHEELY"
'63 BJ7 HBJ7L/20111 ("Resting" the last 10 years)