mgs

1275 Oil Pressure

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 1275 Oil Pressure
From: Mark Endicott <endicott@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 21:45:33 -0500
I remember a thread on this subject recently but none of the posts seem
to fit my situation.  Here is the story..

The engine is reported to have 24000 original miles, I can't confirm
this but it sure is strong.  The compression is 180 lbs in all cylinders
and all looks good.  Fresh Castrol 20W50 and filter with no change. The
engine temperature is a consistent 170 degrees.  But the oil pressure at
startup is 80 lbs., let it run a few miles and the idle pressure drops
only to 40+ lbs.  Any increase in engine speed and the pressure goes to
80 and stays there.  I have confirmed the readings with a different SW
pressure gauge so I believe the Smith's.

I am not terribly concerned but it just seems high.  I would expect idle
at about 20 and hot and hard on it maybe 60+.  Could this be an
indication of a problem or am I just paranoid?

Mark (again)
70 Midget
Nashville