mgs

Re: Fw: Dashpot - how do I know when to add oil?

To: bcandgirls@thurston.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Fw: Dashpot - how do I know when to add oil?
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 00:09:44 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-05-26 21:51:53 EDT, bcandgirls@thurston.com writes:

<< IS the dashpot caps with stick meant to be like oil dipsticks?
 If so at what point do I add oil. The bottome of the bulb on
 each stick is still coated in oil. Now or later?

 thanks in advance >>

Actually, no...

They are the dashpot assembly, what you are calling a "dipstick". They keep
the big carburetter vacuum piston from reacting either too fast or too slow
to throttle and engine RPM changes. The speed is determined by the viscosity
of the oil, a recently much discussed subject.

I liked the comment by one person who said "why would you want to use an oil
not recommended by the manufacturer"? The manual recommends 20W or 30W oil.

Remove those "dipsticks" and look down the bores carefully with a flashlight.
You'll see that there is a sleeve down there. Fill them up to the top of the
sleeve with the 20W or 30W oil, then replace the "dipsticks". Check this
every month or so. By the way, we're only talking about a teaspoon or so.

R. Johnson - Dallas

'90 Maine Coon
'79 Midget
'76 Midget