mgs

Re: Fuel Guage - calibration?

To: cfiddes@direct.ca
Subject: Re: Fuel Guage - calibration?
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 09:22:52 -0500 (CDT)
cfiddes@direct.ca writes:

> Hi folks.

Hi Chris.

> About two weeks into my new car and I've noticed now that my gas
> gauge registers two gallons of gas (in a car with 7+gallon tank) as
> half-full.  When the tank is full, the needle goes all the way past
> the "F" and stays there for quite some time before falling off. Once
> the needle reaches about the half-full mark, I get the number of
> miles I would expect from two gallons.

Does your temp gauge read high?  I assume that your '76 Midget is
similar to my '74 'B, in that the fuel gauge and the temp gauge both
need a constant 10 volts to operate properly.  This is provided by a
voltage stabilizer, mounted on the driver's side bulkhead (under the
dash) in my 'B.

When I got my car, both gauges read very high.  I chased an
"overheating" problem for a while; replaced everything, then finally
took a peek under the dash to find the voltage stabilizer hanging from
its wires!  When it's not properly screwed onto the bulkhead, it doesn't
get the good ground that it needs to operate properly, and the gauges
get "full" (12V if the engine's off; 14V if it's on) voltage.

Check this; it could save you some headaches and expense!

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer properly grounded