mgs

Overdrive (Long)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Overdrive (Long)
From: Jack Baker <baker@islandnet.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 12:28:23 -0700
I mentioned the problem I had with my overdrive in a previous post. The
problem is solved and  so I have written it up,for my club's news letter as
follows;

Tech Tip XI
The Overdrive goes Under

Splendid day in April, Sun Shining, top down, 75 "B" running just perfect.
So I decided to pick up Al and run out to Saanich to pick up some Red Line
Oil. Nice to give Al a top down run.  Just as we left his drive the wind
came up, the air turned cold and the sky darkened, perhaps we had upset his
Tercel. Well we got about three miles before the heavens opened and the
torrent launched itself at us.  We decided to abort our trip and head home.
 Just as I was getting headed in the right direction the car started to
surge. It would accelerate well but surged when off the throttle.  We made
it back to Al's place but when I tried to leave, the car would not reverse.
 I flicked it in and out of Over Drive and it was then willing to back up.
All the way home it continued surging but ran well under any acceleration,
in the garage it again refused to backup.

The next day it started and ran well no problems around town at all.  I
took it in to Mike (The Wizard) Owen; he road tested it and said it was OK.
Two days later I happened to get out for a run on the highway and it ran
just fine in or out of OD. But when I got back into town and took it out of
OD it was surging and gonso reverse time again.  Mike got to test it in
this condition and he thought that the synthetic oil in use might be the
problem. We drained the oil and replaced it with the recommended 30W
non-detergent. The oil change made no difference.

Mike did a study of the shop manual and it was decided that these symptoms
were of a failed Uni-clutch.  Oh joy now the engine and transmission would
have to come out. I left the car with Mike so that he could do the job. The
next day he phoned to say that I should try it again so down the highway I
went and would you believe there is no problem all is well.  Mike (The
Wizard) is a very careful man he had decided to look at all the external
parts of the OD before getting into major surgery. Cleaning the solenoid
had done the trick. The saving to me for this bit of care was about $1000.
Thanks Mike.

I had to take a taxi, to Searles Automotive Mike's place of work, to pick
up my car the cab driver says "Searles are good honest people, they only
fix what they have to and they do it right".