mgs

Re: taut tonneaus

To: "S. L. Hower" <howersl@ttown.apci.com>
Subject: Re: taut tonneaus
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 13:21:57 -0500
>On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, John McEwen wrote:
>
>> I had (still have) this problem.  I solved it by making short extender tabs
>> from pieces of very high grade synthetic rubber gasket material.  I cut the
>> tabs about 3 inches long by 1 1/4 inches wide.  I bought new male and
>> female snap fittings and affixed them to the ends of the tabs.  Presto, the
>> tonneau cover fits quite nicely although it doesn't quite reach the base of
>> the windshield.  Who cares?
>
>  Great idea!!  How can one obtain a chunk of this material???
>  (other than poaching one from my gas meter )
>
>  --Scott
>
>   Scott Hower  --> howersl@ttown.apci.com
>   Air Products & Chemicals, Inc.
>   7201 Hamilton Blvd Trexlertown, PA
>   (610) 481-2646

Hi Scott:

I don't know what it's called but I'll find out.  Incidentally it makes
great engine gaskests as it is temperature and solvent proof.  I used it to
make a gasket for the heater valve/block interface on my MGB.  It's still
holding beautifully after 2 years and 6,000 miles.  I have also used it to
rebuild FBBs (Fast British Bikes) and it seems admirable.  It would not be
good in a very high tension situation as - being a type of rubber - it
would squeeze out and possibly deform becoming ineffective - however I have
not confirmed that.

It would make excellent valve cover gaskets if the original was not too
thick.  It might not replace a cork gasket if the original thickness was
critical.  It cuts quited easily with tough scissors.  I use short, stout
surgical scissors.  It can be drilled or cut with a sharpened cork borer to
make holes in it.

John McEwen