mgs

Waxing Glass [was Re: Windscreen Refurbishment]

To: nolan penney <npenney@concentric.net>, miker15@juno.com
Subject: Waxing Glass [was Re: Windscreen Refurbishment]
From: car@texas.net (Carol)
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 12:16:08 -0600 (CST)
At 10:02 AM 2/13/97 -0800, nolan penney wrote:
>>Somebody told me today that there is a method available that can "polish
>>out" scratches on windscreens.This is the first i have heard of this and
>>wondered if anyone knows if it is worth the effort or has any experience
>>of it. I have 30 days to get the job done so if this is feasible it is
>>far preferable to a jaunt to central jersey which is

>A trick for minor scratches is wax.  Pledge used to be my favorite, but
I've become
>partial to Jubalie kitchen appliance polish.  Learned this with motorcycles
and
>their plexiglass windscreens and face shields.  Polish like you've got a nice
>kitchen table, and much of the scratch gets filled in with the was, becoming
>transparent.  If you've got star wars effects at night because of a 100
thousand
>little scratches, it takes care of most of them as well.
>
>Course, the wipers hate this.  Not a problem with motorcycles, but with cars...

We have the "star wars" problem on the MGA.

Your mention of wax peeked my curiousity. If the wipers don't like
"Jubilee", I wonder how one of those "hard" vinyl flooring treatments might
work. I accidentally used "Future" once, and, after I had applied it, found
that it is a real bear to remove. The product is advertised to not yellow in
the sun, last almost forever, and it does produce a good hard shine.

Nope! Haven't tried this. This thread on working on glass has gotten me to
thinking....

And, I don't know how the inspection stations work where Mike lives, but...

Here, if someone gets picky enough to flunk the car because of something
petty (I think a scratch on the windscreen is petty!), I take it to a part
of town where the inspectors use a blind eye to some of the "infractions."
Find out where the clunkers are inspected and take the car there.

For what it's worth.....

Carol