mgs

Re: Engine noises - thanks for the advice - work starts tomorrow

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net (Receipt Notification Requested) (Non Receipt Notification Requested)
Subject: Re: Engine noises - thanks for the advice - work starts tomorrow
From: Phillips Kevin <Kevin.Phillips@TIDV.dti.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 15:46:00 +0000
Many thanks to R. Johnson, Randy Kegg and JDMG@msn.com (no name given sorry)
for
their quick responses to my engine noise problem.

The engine comes out tomorrow and I hope to sort out the head problems (gasket
hope) and the more worrying engine noise which does sound consistent with
mashing starter cogs - as an aside this could also explain the surges on the
tach. My speculation is that if the starter gear is engaged and the starter
spun
over, this would then make the starter act as a generator and send a surge back
through the ignition circuit ?? Hey it sounds feasible to me - but what do I
know !?

I am also going to put in some of the Midget oil seals for the valve stems as I
mentioned in a previous post so I will report back on what the noise was and if
the new seals improve the oil usage.

Do you think I can sort the engine, strip and spray the engine bay and get the
car back on the road before Monday ??  - Who the hell needs sleep when you've
got an MG !

Here's hoping all goes well.....   !!!                Kevin. `74 MGB