mgs

Re: Sobering -Reply

To: Trmgafun@aol.com, ragthyme@fls.infi.net
Subject: Re: Sobering -Reply
From: Dan Hughes <Dan_Hughes@troweprice.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 13:10:36 -0500
Corey,

Well written and VERY true.  I find when I drive my B I am more cautious than
in my Accord.  I realize that I'm not only in a small convertible, but one
that still has a number of 17 year old parts.  I also treasure my car and
would really hate to see screwed up due to my stupidity (this group can attest
to the fact that I have plenty of that).  I still have a blast when I'm
driving it and I want to keep it that way!

Dan

>>> ckr <ragthyme@fls.infi.net> 02/05/97 12:42pm >>>

Scott & Fellow Fiends:

I've more or less harped quietly on this sort of thing since I've joined  this
list; it's a good point and I'm glad you made it.

I've seen some crash test data on MGB's; they hold up surprisingly well,
considering their age.  Nothing, however, is going to save your life if you're
run over by an SUV or if you dance head-on with a Caddy.  Good stuff to keep
in mind.  I use Rags as a daily driver, with a couple of exceptions, and
although I don't give a fig about emissions laws or, for that matter, safety
*laws*, I do take my vehicle's safety very, very  seriously. Were it a race or
rally car, I'd handle it a bit differently; being a daily (street) driver, I
do the following:

* Wear your seatbelt. Even in a low-speed crash, being thrown from the vehicle
is a sure way to have your ticket punched.

* Don't fiddle with the ride height of late model B's, no matter how you feel
it improves the handling. While playing dodgeball with a Buick may sound
reasonable, NOT running your car 6" below its bumper is a lot safer.

* Stay off of interstates. Not only are the speeds there deadly, but  quite
often you simply aren't noticed.  I saw a Midget literally run  over by a
tractor-trailer rig once. Very unpretty. If you do drive on the interstate, be
a weenie and consider putting one of those flexible whip-antennas with a flag
on it (like dunebuggies use) on your bumper.
Yeah, it looks stupid. I can put up with a whole lot of stupid if it keeps me
from being run over.

* Update your headlamps. Make sure they're on par, at least, with the cars on
the road today. See and be seen.

* Make your safety checks like a pilot would. Before you leave the  hangar,
make certain your lights, signal marker lamps, turn signals, horn, and brake
lights work. Repeat after me: Lucas is our friend. ;)

* Do not ever skimp on brake components. Do not ever take brake  problems
lightly.

* Drive defensively. Pretend every other driver on the road is actively
attempting to kill you. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that
everyone isn't out to get you.

* Don't do any crazy driving seannachnaighans in an MG that you wouldn't try
in a modern sedan. Don't assume your nimble sports car gives you special
driving abilities, or enhances your skills.

This may all seem quite obvious, but I'd rather not see your names in  the
obits. I'm certain your family wouldn't, either. Luck and safe driving,
friends.

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'