mgs

"Zero" Emissions Autos

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: "Zero" Emissions Autos
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrco.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 08:48:18 -0500
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
- -snip- -

> Someone has made the claim that electric cars will produce MORE >
pollution...

When you consider the "zero" emission car remember the emissions from
the power plant AND the losses between the energy plant fuel and you
cruising in your electric car.

-The efficiency of converting fuel to electricity is much less than
100% probably around the same as your I/C engine converting fuel to
rotational HP.

-There are losses in the transmission of electricity to your charging
station.

-There is a 40% loss charging Nickle Cadmium batteries so don't think
other batteries are near 100%

-The conversion of electricity to rotational HP is somewhat less than
100%

So how much pollution from that coal or nuke plant is made to make my
electric car go to work for a week vs the pollution from my I/C car for
that same week?

- -Mark "give a hoot don't pollute" Jurras