mgs

Funky MGA camshaft keyway

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Funky MGA camshaft keyway
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 18:06:04 -0500 (EST)
My fellow MG enthusiasts,

When I bought my MGA, it had a rebuilt engine and had never been started.  I
went through the process of going over everything to make sure all was ok.
 When  checking the ignition timing, I pulled the timing chain cover to make
sure everything was lined up according to the manual.  I found that the
keyway in my cam shaft was 180 degrees off from where it was supposed to be
according to the mannual.  In other words,  when the keyway was approximately
at the 2 o'clock position, the #4 piston was not at TDC (on it's compression
stroke).  I found that when the keyway was at the 8 o'clock position the #4
piston was at TDC.  So I rearranged the plug wires accordingly and in the
result, the car fired right up and everything is fine.  I just have to
remember this in the future, when I change my distributor cap and wires.

My question is, has anyone ever run accross a cam with the keyway 180 degrees
from where it is supposed to be according to the manual?  Maybe this is
common.

Scott in Northern Indiana  TRMGAFUN@AOL.COM
1958 MGA  HDA4346400
1958 TR3A TS35306L
1958 100/6  BN4L 0 49881
IF IT'S AN LBC?  IT'S INTERESTING TO ME!!