mgs

Re: My "Dan Hughes Story" ...

To: peck@digex.net
Subject: Re: My "Dan Hughes Story" ...
From: miker15@juno.com (MICHAEL J ROBSON)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 01:21:21 EST
On Sat, 14 Dec 1996 19:06:10 -0500 (EST) Joe Peck <peck@digex.net>
writes:

>I can't recall whether these stories are driving-related or extend
>to the furthest dark recesses of ones' garage, so here's my most
>embarrassing, and painful. LBC incident.
>
>Fitting A New Head, The Hard Way...
>
>   I'd stripped the threads on a thermostat housing bolt, then
>   managed to *break* a tappet after drilling out the bolt stub.
>   So far, no good, but wait, I can use the head I'd just bought
>   for my other B, since it's rebuild is still "in progress".
>   Good idea.  At least I'll still have one of them running.
>
>   So I popped the old head off, cleaned things up, fitted a new
>   gasket.  Then just like I've done at least a dozen times, I
>   leaned over the car and slid the head down over the stud bolts.
>   But the head was hung up on something, so I leaned in to see what
>   it was, when suddenly WHAM! the head wasn't stuck anymore.  But
>   my fingertips were, one from each hand, stuck between the engine
>   block and the cyclinder head.  OUCH!!!!!  And for some reason I
>   couldn't lift the head back up off my poor fingers.  I managed
>   to wiggle them out, then rushed upstairs to soak them in ice
>   water.
>
>   Wow, did that hurt!  One fingernail was split in half and bleeding
>   and the other was just smashed pretty good.  this happened last
>   month and my new fingernails are still growing in.
>
>   I must have looked pretty silly with my hands trapped by my LBC,
>   but the incident certainly is a good reminder to be careful
>   working on your car.
>
>Cheers,
>Joe

I hope the fingers are now back in service Joe, even if the car is not,
you put me in mind of the first head i saw changed , by my Grandfather
and Father in 1960, the car was a 1955 Wolsey 4/44 originally purchased
by my Grandfather as new.
My Grandfather (nor my Father for that matter) were not men to mention
something only once! Every piece of true wisdom was mentioned
regularly,often, at every opportunity, and then a couple more times to be
sure!( for which i am indebted to both of them)
The picture of them changing the head is as clear as yesterday, and the
words "now listen boy. . . "(with which my Grandfather prefaced most
remarks except when it was "here boy, go down the shop and get me 20
seniors!) "if ever you do this job, make sure you have someone help you,
if this drops on your fingers theyre a goner..."

I have never changed a head alone. (anyway, apart from the safety angle
the amount of swearing associated with major engine work needs to be
shared)

My son is now 12 and we are in the early stages of restoring my BGT -
presently the interior but the engine is scheduled soon - guess what Im
going to say to him??!!

mike robson
69 roadster (head off twice since july)
72 roadster (head never off under my ownership and lets keep it that way)
73 BGT (!)