mgs

MGB vs MGB-GT

To: b-schleusner@.ti.com
Subject: MGB vs MGB-GT
From: DandDTietz@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 21:09:12 -0500
Hey Bill,

I am fortunate to have one of each. I bought my '70 B roadster first, then, 2
yrs later I got the GT. I was one that thought a sports car isn't a sports
car if the top doesn't come down, and wouldn't even consider a GT
initially... BUT;

After falling in love with the marque, and wishing I could enjoy driving the
B more than I did (week-ends, when it wasn't raining), and admiring the
pictures of the GT in all my MG books, I bought the '74 GT. It is truly an
all-weather car, and after I got it reliable (electronic ignition, Weber
downdraft, bumper-to-bumper examine/fix/replace), I sold my '93 Lumina Van (I
had to, with all the money I put in the GT), and for the last 6 months it has
been my daily driver (air is pretty much mandatory in Florida, and it is very
satisfactory with it's org 1974 system except for a new Mini-York compressor
this year)

I have been in the technical end of things all my working career, mechanical,
electronical, now computerical, and the following goes against all
traditional spec'd type stuff you would expect from a techie... There is a
difference between the roadster and the GT...NOT THAT THE ROADSTER IS BAD!..
but there is something... the way you sit in the GT, the angle/position/xyz
co-ordinates of the steering wheel... the petal placement (not exactly the
same)... bigger windshield... I don't know what exactly, but it is better
(which is great for a daily driver, and makes the roadster "different" to
drive for the weekends.

If you can, get one of each, like someone on the list said, "life is too
short to drive boring cars".

Gawd I love these cars...

Dave Tietz

'70 MGB Roadster (sunshine in my face driver)
'74 MGB-GT (drove it to Indy '96/Wisconsin/Tennessee & Back-4124 miles-Noooo
Probs)
'90 Lebaron (keeps me married)