mgs

Re: Rear Axel gear ratios for street and autocross

To: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Axel gear ratios for street and autocross
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 23:20:59 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 25 Nov 1996, Jay Quinn wrote:

> I have 3 rear axels.  1 on the floor still in the original axel at 4.2
>
> another in the car which I think is 4.0
>
> and another which is the center yoke part a axel at 3.7
>
> Which is the best axel gears for street and which is best for autocross?

> --
> Jay Quinn                             '62 Austin-Healey MKII Sprite

Jay,
you are correct, the 4.2 was original, the other is a 3.9 from a later
1275/early 1500, and the 3.7 is from a later 1500.
You are asking for autocross/street.  The answers would probably the two
extremes:  4.2 for auto-x (acceleration), 3.7 for the highway.  However,
if you have an earlier (less torquey) engine, the 3.7 might be a bit much.

If you decide to get rid of the 3.7, please let me know.
You asked earlier which numbers should match.  The answer is "none" -
there are no records which engine number was installed into which body
number/chassis number, just approximate ranges of numbers.

You really should get "The Original Sprite/Midget" by T. Horler (or
something like that).  It has a wealth of information (like both of the
above) and _great_ pictures.  You can look through it at Barnes&Nobles.

                                                           '67 Sprite