mgs

Re: Rubber Bumper MGB-GT Rover V8 Question -Reply

To: MGS@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rubber Bumper MGB-GT Rover V8 Question -Reply
From: NKED65A@prodigy.com ( BOB NOGUEIRA)
Date: 23 Nov 96
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --

------- REPLY, Original message follows --------

> Purely out of academic interest, does anyone out there know what might
happen,
> if on my next trip back to the U.K., I buy a rubber bumper car, shove
it in a
> large box, stick a label on it with my address here in Pa., pay a
shipper to do
> his stuff, and fly back home to await developments/delivery?

---- REPLY, End of original message --------

Back in the early seventies I knew a guy who had a 62 Morgan and wanted
a new Plus 8 . He ordered it from  a Canadian dealer and flew up to take
delivery.  Drove it back home and simply used the plates and papers from
his 62 .  No questions asked at the boarder.
I think they have wised up since then. Last person I knew to bring in a
car  ( about 1984)  had more red tape and paper work than you could
believe.

My guess is the car would be held at the port of entry by customs until
you produced all the required paper work.

Here in the southwest there are tons (relatively speaking) of BGTs with
no rust and they sell for a song.  Unless  equipped with air
conditioning  they are so hot you can't drive them in the summer.  (
hell, I still have to run the AC in my BGT when driving home in November
) .
Buying a good southwest car and transporting it to where ever you are
would be cheaper than repairing the rust in a northern car and less than
the shipping cost from GB.

Buy a chrome bumper BGT and convert it to a rubber bumper.

Bob Nogueira  " Now if I can just get this damn V8 out of my BGT  so I
can put in one of those neat four cylinder jobs'  :)