mgs

Faded tonneau

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Faded tonneau
From: dfdarby@juno.com (David F. Darby)
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 23:30:29 PST
Hello everyone:

I just had an upholsterer replace the UV-baked, jammed plastic zipper on
the MGA tonneau cover with a nifty looking and operable brass job. Cost
a reasonable $30.00.

The ancient tonneau cover is looking a bit tired though. It is, however,
free from rips, tears and rot. It is a lined canvassy sort of thing (not
"German cloth") and started out in life many years ago a smart black
color, but is now, well, almost white. Reminds one of a very faded pair
of black denim Levis.

My question is: does anyone know of a safe, color-fast dye that could be
used to try to breathe a little pizazz back into the thing? I didn't
think to ask my upholsterer for his suggestions and, as I won't be back
in the city for a few weeks, won't have the opportunity to do so right
away.

Thanks for any suggestions,

David F. Darby
Hercules Wilderness, Missouri