mgs

TC supercharger

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: TC supercharger
From: homestay@infolearn.com.au (Syl's Sydney Homestay)
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 03:09:32 +1100 (EST)
I have been interested in following the developing thread on supercharging.

In my library I have a book entitled: "Tuning and Maintenance of MG Cars"
by Philip H Smith in which under a chapter entitled 'Super-tuning the
T-type engine' he takes the engine to a Stage 5 tune.

Get this and tell me if anyone is game to try it.

1.      Shorrock supercharger running at 6 psi at 5,000 rpm

2.      Compression ratio of 9.3:1 (by machining the maximum of 1/8")

3.      150 lb valve springs (raising valve bounce to 6,500 rpm)

4.      Twin fuel pumps

5.      1 3/4" carburettor

6.      High octane fuel

With this configuration 97.5 bhp is claimed at 6,000 revs (plus an extra 1
bhp if you take off the fan blades), giving at those revs a theoretical top
speed
of 100 mph. Compare this to 54 bhp for the standard set up.

All this presumably with the standard 5.125 diff ratio.

There are a few quaint caveats included in the introduction like:

(a)     All MG engines, as delivered, have of necessity to be supplied to suit
        the "average" driver.

(b)     Each engine is inbuilt with a margin of safety to allow for a degree
        of inefficient driving.

(c)     Unless everything is working just as it should, in standard trim, any
        form of modification for extra power is a waster of time.

And so it goes on - Nothing about brakes and steering tho.

Regards

Paul