mgs

RE: MG Reliability

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: MG Reliability
From: "Carl W. Bussler" <cbussler@csrlink.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 20:07:55 -0500
I drove my '80 B for 5 years, even through the winter (cold, even with a
hardtop). The car left me sit

1.  Fuel line broke. Line was old, hard, and needed replaced anyway.
2.  Sending unit in tank went bad, improper fuel reading, ran out of gas.
3.  Fuel pump had erratic behavior once, making the trip home interesting.
But it needed rebuilt, which was not a big deal.

By reading the above, you'd probably think that all B's have a
pre-disposition to fuel problems. No, just this car. But they were minor,
trivial things which I fixed on my own.

All in all, I've had more expensive problems with more modern cars,
particularly in the electronics department. Nowadays, ya almost have to take
a car to a garage and have it hooked up to a computer. Not so with the B. A
great deal of things can be done at home (with the right knowledge, tools,
and patience...)

Weighing the few problems with the amount of fun the car had brought me, I'd
say not to worry too much about reliability. Remember, in this age of the
internet, if you DO have a problem, sombody somewhere knows how to fix it. :)

Let's keep 'em on the road.

Carl W. Bussler
'80 B roadster...rolled.