mgs

Re:MGB Timing

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:MGB Timing
From: Robert J Donahue/DELCO <RJDONAHU@mail.delcoelect.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 10:07:01 +0000
<From: 73253.1136 @ CompuServe.COM (Larry Hoy) @ USDESMTP
<Date: 11/05/96 01:23:28 AM
<
<----------------- Begin Original Message ------
<Date:11/ 4/96 07:41 PM
<From:"Thomas James Pokrefke,III"
<
<My 1970 MGB has no timing marks on the flywheel.  I have tried several times
<to align at the engine at TDC, but I cannot accurately line it up.  I am
<therefore unable to set the timing.  Can anyone suggest a way to line
<the engine up to TDC without taking the head/oilpan off?.  My current
<method is to stick a straw in the sparkplug hole, rotate the crankshaft,
<and wait until the piston reaches the top of its travel.  This method
<does not provide enough accuracy.  Suggestions are greately appreciated.
<
<Thomas James Pokrefke, III
<pokrefke@ocean.st.usm.edu
<1970 MGB

Is this method really so inaccurate? On my TD I was worried about the whether
the timing mark on the pulley was right or not. I pulled the plugs and peered
into the hole. Turning the engine by hand untill I perceived the piston
to be at the top of it's travel, the timing mark was right on the button.
This result seemed to be reproducible. I used to have a dial gauge that
screwed into the sparkplug hole, of course that was for flat-head type
engines that had the spark plugs straight up perpendicular to the top of
the pistons.

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
53 MG-TD, under DYI restoration
71 MGB, still in the shop 12 months and counting