mgs

Re: Midget paints, autocross

To: Thomas Wannenburg <twannen@isnet.is.bgsm.edu>
Subject: Re: Midget paints, autocross
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 1996 13:36:12 +0000
Thomas Wannenburg wrote:

>     My 74 Midget's (Gan5) engine (US car) is painted black, while the car
>itself
> is maroon  which I know was not the original color.  It seems that the
>original
> color was an unattractive olive green (still on the trunk floor and engine
> compartment).
> Can anyone tell me the right color for my engine (olive green?) and is there a
> list of original colors available for the car?

Ugh. That olive green body color was called "Tundra Green."
Yech. The original color for the engine and transmission
was very close to tundra green except it was slightly
brighter and a little flater. It looks like the engine and
transmission was merely dipped in the stuff -- very poor
finish. I can't imagine why someone would 'restore' an engine
to look that bad. The concours plaque you win isn't worth
more than $50 and you have to live with that paint for a
long time.

Home market MGs maintained the much prettier and more functional
metal (black, crinkle finish) dashboard long after U.S. Safety
Nazis mandated the "Abingdon Pillow" padded dash.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, 1969 MGC/GT