mgs

"New" MG owner...

Subject: "New" MG owner...
From: Eric Murphy <73042.3347@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 18 Sep 96 04:39:58 EDT
        Hello all,

I'll give you the short version...

Had been eyeing a co-workers '75 MGB for a few months, and dropped a hint or two
along the lines of
        "If you ever want to sell..."
Did some research, blue book, etc. So he calls me one Friday in early July, out
of the blue, asks if I'm still interested. You bet. Hours later, I'm the proud
new
owner of a white and red '75 B with OD. Daily driver for the DPO, about 70
miles both ways for him, so it's reliable. For an MG. Think I got a respectable
deal.
        Immediately throw my bags in the back, and drive 300 miles to
Sun River, OR, from Olympia, WA. Top down all the way. Life is good. No
problems at all, good gas mileage.  Drive back Monday, again no problems.
        After some electrical work, and a few weeks of down time, it's a great
daily driver, during good weather.

Here's the vitals:      1975 MGB, 4 cylinder, OD.
        Paint - White on top, red on bottom, dings and scratches,
                overall respectable.
        New vinyl top, black,  month before I bought it, for $400.
        Body - some rust, mostly cosmetic, along panel seams, etc., a bit
                deeper under driver, nothing structural, but needs to be dealt
                with before it spreads.
        Engine - runs well, slight hesitation on acceleration from a dead stop,
                let the rev's build first. New plugs, wires, dist. cap and
rotor,

                points. Oil and filter just changed.
        Carb - automatic choke is D.O.A., wide open with the engine dead
                cold. Fun to start, dies easy until warm. Throttle cable is
                scary!!!.  Carb end of cable broke off once upon a time,
                wrapped with two kinds of wire to keep it in place, by DPO.
                First on the list for replacement.
        Radiator - no leaks, clean. Fan blades rather cut and dinged, mainly
                from catching hood release cable end, but both fan motors
                run.
        Good tires, Rotstyle (sp?) wheels, painted white by DPO, want to
                repaint in original silver and black.
        Interior - red. Serviceable, all panels in place, but rough around the
                edges, faded, could be better. Dash in good condition, but I
                think it's a '77+, judging from the diagram in the Moss
catalog.
        Electronics - oh boy....Lots of wires that don't connect to anything,
                loose ends, etc. Not working: wipers (don't drive in the rain),
                radio, temp and fuel gauge, tach. Oil pressure, speedo, and
                clock okay. All lights fine.
        Trans - All 4 speeds, and OD are good. Doesn't always like to go into
                third. Just doesn't get there. Gear oil just changed.

Here's the fun part. One bolt loose on transmission, where it meets the engine.
It's one of the two that hold on the motor support mount(?) I look in the bolt
hole, and the alignment is out, so the bolt won't make it all the way through.
Also, one bolt missing from OD cover plate on bottom, 7 in place.

        Oh yeah, the E-brake is stuck tight, up but disengaged. A pain, but
workable.

        So, what do you think? What should I address first? Is it worth taking
to a shop and saying "make that Tranny bolt fit, and hang the cost," or can it
wait? Should I attack the rust myself, this winter, or let a body shop do it for

me, then repaint?  Wiring, yank it out and start with a new harness, or attack
it
piecemeal?

        Obviously, this is only the place for rough suggestions, but that's
what
I'm looking for. What can I reasonably do myself, as a fairly new DIY'er, and
what should I farm out. What books/videos should I get? I'm hooking up with
the local MG Owners Club next week. That should be a good place to start.

        I'm looking forward to your suggestions. Thx in advance =;-)

Eric Murphy,  73042.3347@Compuserve.com
75 MGB, 86 Rebel, 90 Probe, 73 C-150, 70 C-172