mgs

Re: Whining Midget Rear end

To: mirams@bf.rmit.edu.au
Subject: Re: Whining Midget Rear end
From: GOFASTMG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 21:59:27 -0400
Stephen,
  I does indeed sound as if you have a bad bearing in the rear axle.
  And yes you can change them yourself at home. The Haynes manual I have has
a pretty good breakdown on removing the axles, which is really a simple job.
  When you get the axles out you'll probably find that they will not slide
off the axle. They really aren't supposed to anyway. You'll probably have to
take them to a machine shop or automotive machinist and have them pressed off
and the new bearings pressed on. Probably won't cost but around $10 or so.
  Just be sure that when you replace the bearings (you should do both sides
at the same time.) you also replace the seals and all gaskets. Both Moss
Motors and VB have rear axle bearing kits that include the gaskets and seals
for a reasonable cost.
  Just to show how easy it is to change the axles in a midget, I watched a
racer at the Chimney Rock Hill climb a couple of years ago change a broken
axle in less than ten minutes!! Ok maybe he had more experience, but just for
he H**l of it, a week or so later I got a wild hair and timed myself pulling
one axle and replaceing it. Just in and out. I managed to do it alone in less
than 20 minutes, from the time the jack went under, until the jack came out.
And I ain't the fasted mechanic by any stretch of the imagination.
  Bottom line? Get the book out and have a go. You'll learn something, have a
good time and get the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

Rick Morrison
74 Midget