mgs

Front springs, IMPORTANT

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Front springs, IMPORTANT
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 09:23:27 -0400
Fellow fiends:

A word of caution I neglected to include in my earlier posting: when
changing the front springs:  be careful about letting the tension out of
them!!!   I used good quality jack stands to hold up the front end  by the
cross member, and kept tension on the spring I was working on by using my
floor jack on the lower A-arms.  I then used my shop jack to SLOWLY release
the tension on the springs once the hardware on the kingpin was
disassembled.  You can likely hurt yourself rather badly if that thing
'pops.'  There's a lot of energy 'stored' in that spring when its
compressed.  Don't attempt the front end spring swap if you can't do it this
way!!!

Keep an eye on the front hydraulic hose too: don't pull it or cut it or tear
it.  Its all doable, don't get me wrong, but you need to keep your eyes open
and be careful.

Will Zehring