mgs

Re: front end clunk

To: airhedrz@mailhost.iconn.net
Subject: Re: front end clunk
From: BarneyMG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 16:45:17 -0400
In a message dated 96-08-14 23:07:39 EDT, RZirpolo wrote:

<< Greetings,  In my front end there is a distinct clunk that I have seen
described here as spline clunk.  I have removed both my front wheels,
inspected the splines on both the wheels and hubs and they appear to be
intact.  What visual indication could I look for that the wheel is slipping
on the spline and what else could the dreaded clunk be if not this problem?
Most of suspension and shocks are new.  any and all opinions welcome. >>

OK guys, we've seen this before.  Check the rubber bushings at the inner end
of the lower A-arm (spring pan).  When these go bad (about 2 years or 20,000
miles, whichever is first), there's metal to metal contact.  You get a clunk
when you step on the brake.  And often you get another clunk when you release
the brake, as the parts relax.

Barney Gaylord -- 1958 MGA