mgs

Electrical questions, starter does not turn

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Electrical questions, starter does not turn
From: BERNZO@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 08:55:42 -0400
Dear Listee's

HELP! Being as how electricity and it's many attributes was never my strong
suit and that I have the feeling that I am at the deep end of the pool; I
thought that maybe one of the more learned members could offer some
assistance.

The problem:
Connected batteries last night on my 74 BGT for the first time in five years.
Turned the key to the start position and got no response from the starter
motor. (No solenoid click, nothing.)
Car conditions:
Batteries are new (1month) and seem to have the proper voltage (12vdc using
my spiffy meter). Ground strap for engine is new and in place. Radio works,
wiper motor runs, washer pump pumps. That's all I turned on so far. I didn't
put in the  fuses in the fuse block (lots of things like lights still
disconnected).
Test Results:
I have 12vdc to the hot side of the starter relay (C1). It appears to have a
good ground (W1). When I turn the key to the start position, I get 12vdc from
the yellow ignition wire (W2). No voltage reading on the C2 spade connector
which goes to the starter solenoid.
Jumping the two large connections on the back of the solenoid does not make
the starter spin.
Questions:
Bad starter relay? It is new from M*ss. Any way to test it?
Bad ground from starter/solenoid to engine back plate? I did paint it (the
back plate) rather well. Any way to test short of removing the starter?
Bad starter? Can it go bad sitting on a shelf in a garage?
Next Steps:
I am going to hook up a trickle charger to the batteries tonight and let it
trickle for a couple of days, just to be sure that the batteries are up to
snuff.
Pull out the starter (?) to check it on a bench. How?
Order a new starter relay?
Punt?

Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks in Advance