mgs

Re: Steering rack lubrication on TD

To: Danko Roozemond <Danko@dutcosi.ct.tudelft.nl>
Subject: Re: Steering rack lubrication on TD
From: Robert J Donahue/DELCO <RJDONAHU@mail.delcoelect.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 1996 14:37:16 +0000
From: Danko @ dutcosi.ct.tudelft.nl (Danko Roozemond) @ USDESMTP
Date: 08/09/96 12:16:07 PM
Subject: Steering rack lubrication on TD

<Greetings all,
<
<During the rebuild of my TD i started disassambling the steering rack.  Not
that
<it is that worn but to derust it. But in the books I found two different
<opinions on the lubrication of the assambly.
<
<1) according to several including manual I should use gear oil.
<2) according to the t type rest handbook (knudson) I could also use multi
<purpose grease.
<
<As Grease is far more easy to handle than gear oil (not that messy) and
getting
<the gear oil in place is not that simple I am thinking of using the grease.
<
<Any comments or advices to use the gear oil would be appreciated
<
<Thanks in advance
<
<Danko Roozemond

I noticed that in the handbook, but I also noticed that the MOSS MGB
catalog warnes against using grease in the rack of the B. I figured there
couldn't be that much difference between the B's rack and the T's rack, so
I decided to stick with gear oil. I bought a separate grease gun just for
the gear oil. The grease gun will only hold the oil temporarally, so I
store it in a bucket and wrap plenty of paper towels around it when I am
using it. Also note that the oil zirk on the T's rack does not have a one way
valve on it. If it is filled above the zirk, the excess will leak out.
(Just another puddle to keep the others company.) I cover the zirk with
a piece of aluminum foil to keep dirt out, amazingly it seems to stay on.

We may never have a definitive answer to this grease/oil question, just
like the grear/motor oil controversy on the MGB transmission.

Bob Donahue, Still stuck in the '50s
53 MG-TD, under DIY restoration
71 MGB, still in the shop, 9 months and counting