mgs

Re: Front suspension disassembly

To: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil
Subject: Re: Front suspension disassembly
From: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 12:41:04 -0400 (EDT)

> Hi guys.
>
> Is there a trick to removing the trunnion from the kingpin?

  Yes, it's called a 20-ton press. :-)

  When I took my front suspension apart one trunnion came right off. The
other one, I didn't manage to get apart myself.  Since I was sending the
swing axles and the new pins to be reamed to the machinist, I had him press
off the frozen trunnion for me.  He said even with his big press, he had a
hell of a time getting it off.

> I had a good time removing the top kingpin nut (the one that holds the
> trunnion on).  After pulling and heaving with all of my puny little
> might on my Monster Speed Wrench, I was wishing I had a meter or so of
> lead pipe to slip over it for leverage.  What I finally found laying
> about the garage were my old leaf springs and a length of chain.  After
> lashing one of the springs to the wrench and getting the whole awkward
> contraption in place, I was surprised to discover that it worked like a
> charm!

   Neat trick!  A nice big air compressor and an impact wrench is how I
solved that problem (any many others).

                                        Jeremy DuBois
                                        Programmer/System Administrator
                                        Thermalogic Corporation