mgs

"If I just hit it a little harder..."

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: "If I just hit it a little harder..."
From: Marc Steinberg <marc@crl.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 06:12:03 -0700 (PDT)
My '63 B is, after nearly two years down, ON THE ROAD!  New chrome all
around, paint that looks like you could dive into it, no filler, no rust,
and a strong 3-main engine...what more could you ask?

Well, last week I posted a question about collapsible steering racks.
When the answer came back "No, not on a '63" I assumed that the rack was
bent.  Now I'm not so sure.  I jacked up the front wheels and loosened
all four bolts.  Voila!  The wheels turn freely from side to side.  I
noticed that the rack liked to be up a little from where it was before,
so I shimmed it and retightened the bolts.  Steering tightened up again.
Loosened the bolts again -- steering fine.  Then I watched the rack
carefully while turning the wheels and noticed that it moves up and down
rhythmically.  My conclusion:  the rack is fine, the COLUMN is bent
somewhere.  How could that have happened, I ask?  Then I remembered:  back
when I wrecked the car by driving it into a cement wall (another story),
Mr. Tow Truck Man tried to unbend my bumper and fender before I could stop
him by turning the steering wheel REALLY REALLY hard.

My questions:  a) how do I figure out which piece is bent (the coupling, the
top shaft, or the lower shaft that enters the rack; b) has anyone else ever
had this happen; c) if it's the lower shaft, do I need another rack or can
I replace just the shaft?

-- Marc