mgs

Re: 75 mgb more questions

To: KEN & ADELE HEDGES <khedges@awinc.com>
Subject: Re: 75 mgb more questions
From: palte@rt.el.utwente.nl (Bert Palte)
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 19:11:09 +0200
>Help or any ideas regarding the following
>
>Installing the rubber bushings that support the gearbox (at crossmember).
The size of the bushing in comparison to the hole is such that it appears
impossible to insert it, even as suggested in some books, by applying some
waxoyl.

It's so easy!
Just remove the four UNCscrews (holding the support rubbers to the g'box)
from the end of the gearbox.

Then remove the entire crossmember, complete with the rubbers,
rubber bushing and steel pin, etc. from the car.
Before you do that, however you have to support the g"box with a block of wood
or similar (near the non-removable "crossmember").

Remove the obligatory 5 lbs or so  of sand, muck and oil from the inner parts
of the crossmember.

Clean all parts and assemble the crossmember again.
In my case, the pin that goes through the bushes was so worn out (i.e. the
rubber bushes
had gone sooo long ago) that I had to weld it up.

That's all!

BP