mgs

Re: Leaky Valve Guides

To: Jeffrey Herr <herr@mail.sdsu.edu>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Leaky Valve Guides
From: "W. B. Olson" <WBOLSON@cherokee.astate.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 11:10:28 CST
IMHO, Now's a really good time to do the unleaded head bit.  The
head's got to come off, the guides have to be replaced,  additional
parts to complete the job are the only added cost since the added
labor for the job is minimal.  Just take the head to your machine
shop and tell them to "Do It Right".

> Date sent:      Fri, 26 Apr 1996 08:07:08 -0700 (PDT)
> To:             mg list<mgs@autox.team.net>
> From:           Jeffrey Herr <herr@mail.sdsu.edu>
> Subject:        Leaky Valve Guides
> Send reply to:  Jeffrey Herr <herr@mail.sdsu.edu>

> I have a 78 MGB that for all purposes, is running great.  The problem that I
> have just run across is that my head gasket is starting to leak.  No
> problem.... Easy enough fix.  The problem is that I have valve guides that
> need to be replaced and I am wondering if I need to replace the valves,
> springs, etc. at the same time.  Compression is good and the engine does not
> miss a beat; except for that pesky oil that it drinks every day.
>
> I have had the car for two years and the PO said he had reworked the valves.
> I will not argue with that.  But he forgot to check the other parts.

Bill Olson
Arkansas State University

67 mineral blue MGBGT  (saphire)  searching for an overdrive
68 red MGB Roadster  (ruby)  (sold)
72 mallard green MGB Roadster w/overdrive  (emerald (emmy))
95 plumb mist Ford Crown Victoria w/engine and suspension package -
   my winston cup car (winny)
92 dirty Nissan Stanza (wife's car (no name)) but a great woman
   who owned and drove a new MGA (with no name) when she was in
   college several (yeh, several for sure) years ago