mgs

Re: It RUNS!!, But.....

To: Bert.Otten@nni.nl
Subject: Re: It RUNS!!, But.....
From: David Councill <dcouncil@cu.comp-unltd.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 08:33:20 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 22 Apr 1996 Bert.Otten@nni.nl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need your help. We had a beautiful weekend in Holland, and i should
> be driving with the top down. Instead i spent most of the time lying
> under the car. But that's life, i guess.
>
> Last sunday we tried to set the carbs (SU AUD135) for my early '67 B.
> The carbs are rebuilt, I mean cleaned, new jets installed, needles
> (FX), float bowl jets and needles, etc. The engine is OK. We had
> adjusted the valves, set the timing (10 before TDC). The starter
> motor worked OK, engine ran fine (oil pressure 45 psi at idle when
> hot; 60 psi at 3000 rpm). I had Roger Garnetts article about SU
> tuning handy and a Haynes as well, and we have adjusted the carbs by
> the book. First synchronized them, with a handy tool from Gunson, and
> then adjusted the mixture.
> But the engine kept running very rich, even if the jet adjusting nuts
> were turned completely in (at that moment the engine ran rich, not
> very rich!)
> Does anybody know what's the problem?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Bert Otten
> '67 B on it's way to 'DOT road allowance test' friday 26th april

The first time I did a SU rebuild on my 65B, I had the same problem. I
put the jets on wrong so they were pulled down too far - like having the
choke engaged. An MG mechanic set me straight, and fortunately I am much
smarter now.

I suggest you remove the air filters, hook up the choke, and then check
it in both positions (in and fully out) to see if the jets are prperly
seated. This may tell you - but since my goof occurred about 20 years
ago, I don't remember the full details on my screwup (and in those days,
I may have inhaled substances not approved by the U.S. government).

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net