mgs

Re: MGF

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGF
From: gmccann@pcug.org.au (Graham McCann)
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 09:48:45 +1000 (EST)
>Has anyone on the list got a new MGF yet? I just ordered a BRG one, and am
absolutely gagging to get it!  8 long weeks to go.
>Best Wishes,
>Martin McKay (in N. Ireland)

We have two in Australia at the moment for tests to see if they meet the
Australian Design rules.  This will probably involve running one or two into
a barrier for crash tests - seems a waste.  While fully road registered here
they can only be driven by Rover Australia personnel.  At the end of the
tests the cars will either be acceptable for registration or will have to be
re exported or broken up for sale as parts.

Rover is confident they will be cleared and will be available here in 1997,
along with the reintroduction of other Rover cars (as opposed to Range/Land
Rovers which are already popular here).  The price is expected to be about
$A40,000 for the base model (about $US30,000).  This puts it a bit below an MX5.

I personally doubt that the MGF will sell that well here.  The Japanese
brands have the market here although Continental cars are having quite an
impact.  We even have the US made Jeep,Tauras and Probe here (in right hand
drive).

regards
Graham McCann  Rivett, ACT. Australia
gmccann@pcug.org.au