mgs

Re: MGB american engine???

To: Håkan Bostrand <hakan.bostrand@malmo.mail.telia.com>
Subject: Re: MGB american engine???
From: David Councill <dcouncil@cu.comp-unltd.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 09:57:05 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 14 Apr 1996, H=E5kan Bostrand wrote:

> Hi Outthere!
> Is there anyone who can help me?
> I have an MGB GT-69 with an 18V780 engine, I have restored the engine and=
=20
> suspect that it's an american sold engine, How can I see that???
> The engine was a disaster and I had to replace nearly everything due to=
=20
> abnormal wear.
>=20
> MGB GT-69
> Opel Manta -75
>=20

I believe the engine may be from an Austin Marina. When I bought my=20
71BGT, it also had a higher number 18V engine (possibly the 18V780 but=20
my memory is not that good). I knew there was something unusual or=20
non-original about the engine, and someone verified that it was from the=20
Marina.

Primary differences were a smaller pilot shaft opening on the crank, the=20
singular timing chain/ pulley. It was still the basic 1800 engine, just a=
=20
lighter duty version. Mine was getting 300 miles to a quart of oil when I=
=20
replaced it with a 72 mg 18v engine.

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net