mgs

Overdrive re-build ?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Overdrive re-build ?
From: amc@galaxy.nsc.com (Andy McLean x7768)
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 96 09:04:21 PST
As part of my spring cleaning I decided to remove the sump plate
on the overdrive unit of my '78 MGB.  Beside an acceptable amount
of "shwarf" there was also 3 pieces of what I have come to identify
as a thrust washer for the LH overdrive.  At least I think that's
what it is...about 1.25" in diameter with notches cut at all four
corners (of a circle !)  My question is, what exactly does this part
do and when can I expect to have to re-build ?  The gearbox and
overdrive appear to suffering no ill effects in the absence of this
part, although I have noticed an occasional grind when reversing
with a cold engine/gearbox.

Thanks,
       Andy McLean ('78 MGB)