mgs

Re: Jumping from 4th and reverse

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Jumping from 4th and reverse
From: gmccann@pcug.org.au (Graham McCann)
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 1996 10:49:38 +1100 (EST)
>The transmission in my Mk III Magnette (an MGA transmission) jumps
>out of fourth gear and reverse when I'm going slower than I should
>sometimes, or when I am decelerating.  There are only 45,000 miles on
>the car, so I doubt it's wear.  I'm wondering if maybe someone left
>something out when the took it out for some reason, or maybe when the
>former owner put in t a new shift boot, he might have taken out the
>shifter and left out a spring (like someone did on my B-GT).  Thanks
>alot...
>
> John

Could be the rubber boot on the gearstick base is pulling it out of gear.
Try releasing it and see if it makes any difference. If that is the problem
it usually goes away when the gearbox is warm and the rubber in the boot
becomes more pliable.   A more likely problem is worn or displaced engine
and/or gearbox mounts which are allowing the engine to twist as torque is
applied or released and this, because the engine and the transmission are
coupled, is pulling it out of gear.

Regards
Graham McCann  Rivett, ACT. Australia
gmccann@pcug.org.au