mgs

Re: Overdrive switch on Gear Knob

To: taylorts@syr.ge.com
Subject: Re: Overdrive switch on Gear Knob
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 16:47:47 -0700
At 10:57 AM 3/28/96 EST, you wrote:

>My only problem is that the 1971 trans leaks from some where.  Looks like it's
>from the solenoid wire coming out of the side.  I've tried everything to stop
>it from leaking with no success.  Any body have any ideas on where these trans
>leak??   Maybe the drain plug??  any experiences?    Todd

It most likely is leaking from the point you describe. Normally a rubber
plug provides a seal to prevent oil leakage at the point where the wires
enter the transmission casing. But rubber deteriorates, and this plug is not
available at any parts suppliers that I know of.

I tried several gasket sealers on my 71BGT OD transmission unsuccessfully. I
finally asked one of the employees at an auto parts store what he would
recommend as a solution. He suggested another gasket sealer, a Dow product,
designed for marine applications among other things. And it actually worked!

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net
http://www.imt.net/~dcouncil/home.html